Soaring Soren: When French Bulldogs Fly
by Deborah Stevenson; illustrated by Morgan Spicer
“His legs are too short!” “His head is too big!” “He is simply not built to jump!”
Soren the French Bulldog is an unlikely champion in the athletic sport of agility, or so many people think. But Soren has something that his critics can’t readily see: belief in himself. With that, and the support of his friend Deb, Soren sets out to prove that champions come in all shapes and sizes.
Soaring Soren is an inspiring story about pursuing a dream. Soren is irresistible and determined. His quest for an agility championship is exciting. But most endearing is the love and trust between Deb and her dog. It is sure to melt the hearts of children and adults alike.
- Silver Winner of the 2018 Feathered Quill Book Award for Animals—Children’s and Young Adult.
- Bronze Winner of the 2018 Feathered Quill Book Award for Children’s Picture Books.
- Winner of the 2017 Next Generation Indie Book Award for Children’s / Juvenile Nonfiction.
- Finalist for the 2017 Next Generation Indie Book Award for Children’s Picture Book (6 Years & Up).
- Silver Medal Winner of the 2017 Readers’ Favorite International Book Award for Children / Animals.
- Nominated for the 2016 Dog Writers Association Award for Best Series of Illustrations or Paintings.
- “…[A]n exuberant reminder that winners come in all shapes and sizes (and should never listen to naysayers).” –Kirkus Reviews
- “[A]n inspirational and exciting true life story that shows how even seemingly insurmountable odds can be overcome, if you believe in yourself … [M]ost highly recommended for children and animal lovers of all ages.” –Readers’ Favorite
- “Expressive cartoon color illustrations bring Soren the French Bulldog’s amazing and inspiring story to life, bringing joy and inspiration to young readers everywhere.” –Midwest Book Review
- “Soaring Soren helps teach children that with a little hard work, if they can dream it, they can achieve it. A wonderful message and a delightful book.” –Feathered Quill Book Reviews
“The cover is adorable! In fact, all the illustrations are great! The plot is fun and I love the uniqueness of having vertical pages included (when Soren is “soaring” over the last jump). And the information given on the sport is extremely interesting!” —Feathered Quill Book Awards Judges’ Comments
- “Everyone who has ever loved a dog will love this book. It’s the story of the little dog who could…” –R.J.M., Amazon Reader Review
- “I absolutely LOVE this book. The story is an incredible one about overcoming perceived faults an[d] imperfections…” –Lori K., Amazon Reader Review
- “Great, inspiring children’s book. You can do whatever you set your mind to. Wonderful!” –Amazon Reader Review
- “…[A] charming and inspirational story of breaking type casting and overcoming obstacles. The illustrations are just adorable. I want a sequel” –Amazon Reader Review
About the Author
Deborah Stevenson’s lifelong love of animals and writing have frequently intersected over the years, resulting in numerous articles written for animal-related publications, websites, a regular column for JustFrenchies magazine, and children’s books. When her son was young, reading together was a treasured time they shared. This spurred her desire to write books that other parents could enjoy with their children. Currently a product marketing manager, Deb also worked as a technical writer for over a decade. She lives in New Jersey with her son and their three dogs, and enjoys training for and competing in the sport of dog agility.
About the Illustrator
Morgan Spicer is a children’s book illustrator, character designer, ethical vegan, and the founder of Bark Point Studio. Through her small business, she has created over 1,300 pet portraits, with a percentage of many of her commissions going to local and international animal rescue groups. A self-proclaimed “dog and cat lady,” Morgan hopes to one day open an animal sanctuary and rescue of her own, where she will continue to educate youth about the importance of compassion and the magic of animal companionship. She has illustrated ten books. To see more of her work, please visit her at www.MorganSpicerIllustration.com.
Purchase the Book
This edition is out of print.
Hardcover ISBN: 978-0-9973020-4-2
Paperback ISBN: 978-0-9973020-5-9
Size: 8.5″ x 8.5″
Published October 4, 2016