by Deborah Stevenson; illustrated by Morgan Spicer
There’s big fun to be had at Delray Retirement Village!
Joel is a bit uncertain when he travels to visit his grandparents in Delray Beach, Florida. He is excited to see them, but afraid he might be bored at their quiet retirement village. Imagine his surprise when he meets his grandparents’ new neighbors—a pair of retired circus elephants who just moved in. They require lots of sunscreen, they’re too big for the furniture, and they turn the community pool into a water park!
It looks like Joel might end up having an adventure, after all!
- Gold Winner of the 2018 Feathered Quill Book Award for Animals—Children’s and Young Adult.
- Silver Winner of the 2018 Feathered Quill Book Award for Children/Early Readers (6–8 Years).
- Bronze Winner of the 2018 Feathered Quill Book Award for Humor.
- Winner of the 2018 Feathered Quill “We Love Animals” Award.
- “This book is a whole lot of fun! The cover appeals to kids and I wouldn’t change anything about either the front or back cover. The story is adorable and the illustrations are precious. The content is fresh and also a true teaching tool.” –Feathered Quill Book Awards Judges’ Comments
- “What a wonderful and creative story this is … inventive, engaging, and just plain fun to read.” –Rick Felty, author of the award-winning Tabitha Fink series
- “This is a book that will be fun for adults and kids alike, as well as providing a springboard for a discussion on elephants and circuses. Oy Elephants! is most highly recommended.” –Jack Magnus for Readers’ Favorite
- “This is the kind of book you will read again and again … a truly marvelous, amazing book that I sincerely enjoyed and loved.” –Jessica Barbosa for Readers’ Favorite
- “There is so much to like about Oy, Elephants! … [T]he marvelous illustrations of Ms. Spicer bring this unlikely tale vividly to life, providing the authenticity the story calls for with drama, humor, and boundless energy.” –Joel R. Dennstedt for Readers’ Favorite
About the Author
Deborah Stevenson’s lifelong love of animals and writing have frequently intersected over the years, resulting in numerous articles written for animal-related publications, websites, a regular column for JustFrenchies magazine, and children’s books. When her son was young, reading together was a treasured time they shared. This spurred her desire to write books that other parents could enjoy with their children. Currently a product marketing manager, Deb also worked as a technical writer for over a decade. She lives in New Jersey with her son and their three dogs, and enjoys training for and competing in the sport of dog agility.
About the Illustrator
Morgan Spicer is a children’s book illustrator, character designer, ethical vegan, and the founder of Bark Point Studio. Through her small business, she has created over 1,300 pet portraits, with a percentage of many of her commissions going to local and international animal rescue groups. A self-proclaimed “dog and cat lady,” Morgan hopes to one day open an animal sanctuary and rescue of her own, where she will continue to educate youth about the importance of compassion and the magic of animal companionship. She has illustrated ten books. To see more of her work, please visit her at www.MorganSpicerIllustration.com.
Purchase the Book
This edition is out of print.
Hardcover ISBN: 978-0-9995158-1-5
Paperback ISBN: 978-0-9995158-2-2
Size: 8.5″ x 8.5″
Published December 12, 2017
Author Deborah Stevenson’s website
Illustrator Morgan Spicer’s website